You are here
What can cause a stimulant overdose
- Using different drugs at the same time (especially injecting stimulants with other drugs such as heroin)
- Not knowing a drugs purity or contents
- Stronger tolerance to stimulants may lead to increased use and overdoses
- Pre-existing health problems, particularly heart conditions and liver disease
- Prolonged use (bingeing) and excessive sleep deprivation
- Severe dehydration
So how do you spot a stimulant overdose?
- Breathing and heartbeat may be very fast
- Chest pains
- Very large pupils
- Seizures or shaking
- Muscle cramping
- Problems urinating
Tips to avoid a stimulant overdose
- Avoid using alone: if you overdose, you want someone around to help
- Know your tolerance
- Avoid using different drugs at the same time
- Stay hydrated and avoid alcohol and caffeinated drinks
- Avoid excessive use and sleep deprivation
- Try and use through safer transmission methods (eg. Smoking/sniffing rather than injecting)
- Don’t use when on medication.
- In the event of an overdose ALWAYS call the emergency services!